Skate Kingston Program Assistants 2016/2017
Program Assistants are a very important part of our successful CanSkate program. The role of the Program Assistant (PA) varies depending on the unique needs and dynamics of the club.
In order to best serve our skaters, Program Assistants attend a specialized training program and work alongside our professional coaches to assist in delivering quality programs as mandated by Skate Canada. We are very fortunate to have a dedicated and enthusiastic group of Program Assistants who volunteer their time and act as exceptional role models for our younger skaters.
Duties of a Program Assistant
- Assist the Skate Canada coach in delivering the program on‐ice and off‐ice,
- Demonstrate skills and teaching progressions,
- Supervise practice sessions,
- Assist coaches with warm-up and cool-down,
- Reinforce learned skills (follow‐up on coach instruction),
- Lead circuits, drills, group activities,
- Distribute awards (stickers, badges, etc.),
- Take attendance,
- Be a role model for young skaters.
Do you meet the criteria to become a Program Assistant?
- Must be currently registered as a Skate Canada member,
- Skate Kingston skaters have priority if the number of PAs are limited on a session,
- Over the age of 12, but we can train younger volunteers at our discretion,
- Must have the ability to demonstrate basic skating skills (a complete preliminary test passed),
- Attends all training sessions,
- Are good communicators and demonstrators,
- Are reliable, punctual and responsible,
- Are committed for whole Fall/Winter or Spring session,
- Are not paid, as volunteers. They receive a credit @ $5/hour that can be used towards their own skating registration or high school volunteer hours,
- Credits will not be held over. They must be used up by Fall registration or they will expire.
Please contact Krista Richardson at Kristar@sympatico.ca, for any inquires regarding credits or school volunteer hours.
Please contact our Director for any information regarding becoming a Program Assistant.
- Margaret Asselstine Sk8gr8norman@hotmail.com